A Physician’s Lecture on Lymphedema
The Physician’s Lecture on Lymphedema provides an excellent overview of lymphedema, its pathophysiology, diagnosis and differential diagnosis. This course is beneficial for all medical professionals who want to educate themselves about this important disease, but are unable to commit to completing a lymphedema certification course. The online Physician’s Lecture is also beneficial for medical doctors who need to know about lymphedema, but are not interested in studying the manual techniques required for treating lymphedema. Your host, Kathleen Francis, MD, explains lymphedema in the most understandable manner making it easy and interesting to follow along. Please find all pertinent information for this four-part course below.
Note: This physician’s lecture includes a bonus lecture on Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) for Lymphedema by Guenter Klose, MLD/CDT Certified Instructor.
· Review of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology of the lymphatic system
· Definition and incidence of lymphedema
· Difference between edema and lymphedema
· Usual signs and symptoms of lymphedema
· Stages of lymphedema
· Primary lymphedema
· Secondary lymphedema
· Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of lymphedema
· Imaging methods for lymphedema
· Indications and contraindications for the treatment of lymphedema
· Medications and lymphedema
· Chronic venous insufficiency (CVI)
· Traumatic and post surgical edema
· Infections (cellulitis and erysipelas)
· Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) for Lymphedema
Upon completion of the course, the learner will:
· Understand the definition of lymphedema
· Understand the difference between primary and secondary lymphedema
· Understand the causes of primary and secondary lymphedema
· Be able to differentiate between a variety of peripheral edemas
· Understand the medical indications and contraindications for Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) and Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT)
· Be able to recognize the signs and symptoms of infections in patients with lymphedema
Course Materials and Access:
Course materials include four (4)-week access to online lessons in addition to the course manual (presentation handouts). Upon registration and payment of course fees, a confirmation letter including username and password as well as the course manual will be sent to the learner within 10 business days (Monday – Friday).
This course is offered to all Medical Doctors, Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapist Assistants, Athletic Trainers Certified, Nurses, Nurse Practitioners, Licensed Practical Nurses, Massage Therapists.
Note: Persons without a medical background who are interested in learning about lymphedema are also invited to register for this online course, but will not receive continuing education hours/credits.
The tuition for this online course is $295.00. The full amount is due upon registration. For our refund and cancellation policy, please refer to the KTC Online Courses Student Agreement
The following student agreement must be signed and submitted before the commencement of class.
Upon completion of each part of the online lessons, learners are encouraged to complete an online quiz. Completion of the online quizzes is mandatory for learners who wish to receive online continuing-education hours/credit. The number of questions in each quiz varies. Passing scores for each quiz is 80% or higher.
Certificate of Completion/Continuing Education Units (CEUs):
Upon successful completion of the course (passing of all applicable quizzes), the learner will receive a Certificate of Completion verifying online course hours. The Physician's Lecture on Lymphedema Online Lesson offers Twelve (12) hours of online continuing education available for Physical, Occupational and Massage Therapists. Online course hours are approved for Lymphology Association of North America (LANA) re-certification.
For more information about KTC’s CEU approvals, Click Here.